Established in 1893, South Shields Golf Club is situated on coastal heathland, in the shadow of Cleadon water tower, a local landmark, which can be seen for miles around.
SOUTH SHIELDS GOLF CLUB was formed at a public meeting on 6th June 1893.
9 Holes were subsequently laid out on Cleadon Hills with a total yardage of 2540. The Official opening of the course was on 28th October 1893.
In 1903/1904 the course was extended to eighteen holes, taking in land around the Mill on Cleadon Hills. In 1912 Dr. Mackenzie who designed Augusta National , Alwoodley and Moortown was engaged in a course redesign. In the years from 1922 to 1928, course alterations produced the current layout.
To celebrate the Club’s centenary in 1993, a history of the Golf Club was produced by Mr. M. Byrne, a local schoolmaster. Limited copies of this booklet are available from the Manager.
A digital version of the booklet can be viewed on this link History Booklet
Thanks to Bill Allon for providing this facility.[/gc]