SOUTH SHIELDS GOLF CLUB LIMITED
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY
Statement of Intent
South Shields Golf Club Limited (“The Club”) in compliance with the Equality Act
2010, relevant English, UK and European Legislation and all other statutory obligations, is resolute in its determination to pursue equality of status to all members, associate members, visitors, guests, volunteers, present and potential employees, servants, agents and service providers associated with The Club. It will endeavour to ensure that every person, as identified above, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity (“the protected characteristics”) has a genuine opportunity to participate to their full potential at all relevant levels and roles within The Club.
The Committee of The Club has produced this statement which is subject to annual review and shall remain effective (subject to minor changes determined only by legislation, by the need to make reasonable adjustments to practices, procedures and policies, or as agreed by practical experience, in keeping with current legislation) during this period.
• The policy will be available on The Club website
• No job applicant will be placed at a disadvantage by requirements or conditions
which are not necessary to the performance of the job or which constitute unfair
• All members, visitors, guests, associate members, employees, agents, service
providers and volunteers have responsibilities to respect, act in accordance with
and thereby support and promote the spirit and intentions of the Policy.
• All staff, agents and service providers will receive appropriate training.
• The Club will ensure that each application for membership will be determined in
accordance with this Statement.
• No upper membership limits will be applied to any category of membership except that
(a) the Committee will set a total maximum membership from time to time and (b) the Committee may apply an upper limit on the numbers in any category which is not
determined by reference to any of the protected characteristics.
Officers of The Club
• The Committee shall be elected in accordance with the procedures as identified in the Articles of Association and Bye-Laws of The Club.
• Any member that meets the criteria for election to the Committee shall be encouraged to allow themselves to be nominated.
• There will be separate Captains for each gender section of The Club of equal standing and status.
• Proposals and nominations for each captaincy will be in accordance with the procedures identified in the Articles of Association and Bye-Laws of The Club.
• Each captain shall represent their section of The Club at all events that fall within their jurisdiction.
• In their year of office the two captains shall share responsibility and authority for all club functions and will agree at the outset of their term of office those events that will be undertaken individually or jointly.
All members will enjoy equal access to the golf course at all times except only where it is necessary or appropriate to give priority of access for participants in a competition open only to members of one gender.
• Conditions of Entry to Club competitions shall be as specifically identified in the terms and conditions of entry applicable to that competition.
• The playing of designated trophy competitions shall take precedence within the
competition calendar of The Club. On such occasions and for the duration of the allotted
tee reservation, the course may only be available to participants in the competition.
• Where it can be identified that the preponderance of gender specific competitions
unreasonably denies equal access, The Club will consider the provision of suitable
alternative opportunities in the playing calendar.
• When general play conditions prevail, access will be in accordance with the tee time
booking procedure and will allow for equal access within each relevant category of
The Club reserves the right to limit competition to specific age or gender groups where this is necessary to ensure equitable, safe and equal competition. The Club may take positive action in providing opportunities to increase the inclusion of people from under-represented groups.
The Committee will regularly review The Club’s operations to ensure that the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 and the terms of this Equal Opportunity Policy are being adhered to.
• The content of this document applies equally to members, associate members, visitors, guests, employees, servants, agents and service providers of The Club. The day to day responsibility for the implementation of the Equal Opportunity Policy will rest with the Honorary Secretary.
• Any complaint or grievance should be communicated to the Honorary Secretary. The Committee will then decide how the complaint should be investigated and resolved.
South Shields Golf Club