SOUTH SHIELDS GOLF CLUB DATA PROTECTION POLICY
This policy applies to:
• South Shields Golf Club Limited;
• all sites under the control of South Shields Golf Club Limited;
• all staff operating on behalf of South Shields Golf Club Limited.
• paid staff and volunteers.
Policy operational date:
• With effect from 21 March 2018
• Policy prepared by: Data Protection Officer –John Thornton
• Date approved by Management: 21 March 2018
• Policy review date: 20 March 2019
The purpose of this policy is to enable South Shields Golf Club Limited to:
• comply with the law in respect of the data it holds about individuals;
• follow good practice;
• protect South Shields Golf Club Limited’s supporters, staff and other individuals
• protect the organisation from the consequences of a breach of its responsibilities.
The Data Protection Principles require that personal information is:
• processed fairly and lawfully
• processed for limited purposes
• adequate, relevant and not excessive
• accurate and up to date
• not kept for longer than is necessary
• processed in line with the rights of individuals
• not transferred to other countries without adequate protection
This policy applies to information relating to identifiable individuals, even where it is technically outside the scope of the Data Protection Act, by virtue of not meeting the strict definition of ‘data’ in the Act.
South Shields Golf Club Limited will:
• comply with both the law and good practice
• respect individuals’ rights
• be open and honest with individuals whose data is held
• provide training and support for staff and volunteers who handle personal data, so that they can act confidently and consistently
South Shields Golf Club Limited has identified the following potential key risks, which this policy is designed to address:
• Breach of confidentiality (information being given out inappropriately).
• Insufficient clarity about the range of uses to which data will be put — leading to Data Subjects being insufficiently informed
• Breach of security by allowing unauthorised access.
• Failure to establish efficient systems of managing changes leading to personal data being not up to date.
• Harm to individuals if personal data is not up to date.
• Insufficient clarity about the way staff or volunteers’ personal data is being used e.g. given out to the general public.
The Directors recognise their overall responsibility for ensuring that South Shields Golf Club Limited complies with its legal obligations.
The Data Protection Officer is currently John Thornton, with the following responsibilities:
• Briefing the Directors on Data Protection responsibilities
• Reviewing Data Protection and related policies
• Advising other staff on Data Protection issues
• Ensuring that Data Protection induction and training takes place
• Handling subject access requests
• Approving unusual or controversial disclosures of personal data
All staff and volunteers are required to read, understand and accept any policies and procedures that relate to the personal data they may handle in the course of their work.
Significant breaches of this policy will be handled under South Shields Golf Club Limited’s disciplinary procedures.
This section of the policy only addresses security issues relating to personal data. It does not cover security of the building, business continuity or any other aspect of security.
South Shields Golf Club Limited has identified the following risks:
• Staff or volunteers with access to personal information could misuse it.
• Poor web site security might give a means of access to information about individuals once individual details are made accessible on line.
• Staff may be tricked into giving away information, either about supporters or colleagues, especially over the phone, through “social engineering”.
• Setting security levels
• Access to information on the main computer system will be controlled in accordance with our E-security procedure.
Data recording and storage
South Shields Golf Club Limited will regularly review its procedures for ensuring that its records remain accurate and consistent and, in particular:
• ICT systems will be designed, where possible, to encourage and facilitate the entry of accurate data.
• Data on any individual will be held in as few places as necessary, and all staff will be discouraged from establishing unnecessary additional data sets.
• Effective procedures will be in place so that all relevant systems are updated when information about any individual changes.
• Member’s data held on website will require the permission of the member before the data becomes accessible to other members. Permissions will be obtained by way of tick boxes required to be completed by each member when they first log on. These permissions may be withdrawn at any time by the member.
Data will be stored on site, or any other site owned or in the control of South Shields Golf Club Limited. This data will be retained for a minimum period of six years.
The policy is to be reviewed on an annual basis or at such time that the Data Protection Act is amended.
When you request information from South Shields Golf Club Limited, sign up to any of our services or buy things from us, South Shields Golf Club Limited obtains information about you. This statement explains how we look after that information and what we do with it.
We have a legal duty under the Data Protection Act to prevent your information falling into the wrong hands. We must also ensure that the data we hold is accurate, adequate, relevant and not excessive.
Member’s email address and/or telephone numbers may be given to other current members of the club for the purposes of facilitating activities pertaining to the club, where the information is not currently available on the member’s directory via the club website.
Normally the only information we hold comes directly from you. Whenever we collect information from you, we will make it clear which information is required in order to provide you with the information, service or goods you need. You do not have to provide us with any additional information unless you choose to. We store your information securely on our computer system, we restrict access to those who have a need to know, and we train our staff in handling the information securely.
We may also like to contact you in future to tell you about other services we provide. You have the right to ask us not to contact you in this way. We will always aim to provide a clear method for you to opt out. You can also contact us directly at any time to tell us not to send you any future marketing material.
You have the right to a copy of all the information we hold about you (apart from a very few things which we may be obliged to withhold because they concern other people as well as you). To obtain a copy, either ask for an application form to be sent to you. Alternatively, you can write to the Data Protection Officer at South Shields Golf Club Limited. There is no charge for a copy of your data. We aim to reply as promptly as we can and, in any case, within the legal maximum of 30 days.