Shields Golf Club, established in 1893, is situated on coastal heathland, in the shadow of Cleadon water tower, a local landmark, which can be seen for miles around.
SOUTH SHIELDS GOLF CLUB was formed at a public meeting on 6th June 1893.
9 Holes were subsequently laid out on Cleadon Hills with a total yardage of 2540. The Official opening of the course was on 28th October 1893.
In 1903/1904 the course was extended to eighteen holes, taking in land around the Mill on Cleadon Hills. In 1912 Dr. Mackenzie who designed Augusta National , Alwoodley and Moortown was engaged in a course redesign. In the years from 1922 to 1928, course alterations produced the current layout.
Inside the foyer our history is highlighted by a photograph of the 1893 members and a photograph taken in 1912 with members and professionals James Taylor and Harry Vardon after their exhibition match.
To celebrate the Club’s centenary in 1993, a history of the Golf Club was produced by Mr. M. Byrne, a local schoolmaster. Limited copies of this booklet are available from the Manager.
Recent history is made with the club employing one Christy O’Connor Jnr in his professional role as assistant, the club was also the home club for 70’s professional Doug McClelland who was an active amateur member before turning professional.
A digital version of the booklet can be viewed on this link History Booklet